Wednesday 1 October 2014

Blocking out the sun (27/09/2014)

I had to time my visit to the mudflats to coincide with the rising tide and the best time was late morning. So, it was back to forest birding again. I chose the site closest to Bagan Belat which was the swamp forest of Air Hitam Dalam. The world's friendliest Mangrove Blue Flycatchers live here, right in my home state of Penang. I even had to step back to take a shot of this stunning male because he was simply too close for my gear to focus!
 

Unfortunately, things were a little slower than what I had hoped for. Or maybe the past few trips have made my expectations soar too high for my own good. Anyway, only a couple of migrants were recorded despite the fact that the migratory season is in full swing. And to make matters worse, some of the residents were also absent. This Asian Paradise-flycatcher was probably the only other notable sighting. The yellow on the bill and the black colouration on the wings suggest that it is probably a young male. 


The migratory Forest Wagtails are back and there are usually a couple of them foraging at the car park area. This species remains skittish despite all the ‘incentives’ available here and rarely do you get the chance for a close approach.


This is an underexposed shot of the Abbott's Babbler that came out in the open for a brief moment. Wild bird photography can be downright cruel at times and all you are given is one chance. You just have to make sure you do not screw it up by having the wrong exposure settings. 


Looks like it is nesting season for the Plaintain Squirrels...


After a while, I decided to hop back onto my iron steed and scout the surrounding areas as my final attempt to salvage the trip. I did not go far when I came across a flock of Asian Openbills among the paddy fields. I decided to stop and spend some time with these storks as there was not much about. 


I also noticed quite a few of them were resting on the nearby trees as well…




Soon after, the skies darken and I thought it was the weather changing. But it turned to be because of more storks were gradually flying in from behind me. The sheer number of the storks literally blocked out the sun. There may be a bit of exaggeration here but I am just trying to get my point across. Some of them alighted when they reached the roost site while others, circled about before descending from the sky. 


Adults in breeding plumage…



Juvenile…


I suddenly found myself surrounded by Asian Openbills. The vicinity was getting a little cramped when the number of storks continued to multiply until there were about 300 individuals. Although this species has colonised Peninsula Malaysia for quite a while, it was still an exhilarating experience.





I have a tendency to lose track of time when I am out in the field. Tide, like time, waits for no man and I was running a little late to make it to the mudflats. Lucky for me, travelling on bike cuts travel time tremendously on most roads in Penang. It was scorching hot when I reached the mudflats but the tide was about right and that was all that really mattered. The variety of waders present was a little disappointing but one cannot expect every trip to be great, right? While waiting for the tide to do my dirty work for me, a pair of Mudskippers kept me entertained with their antics. 


The Curlew Sandpipers were as confiding as my last trip as they went about their muddy forays despite my presence. Although I try to be as inconspicuous as possible, I know that all the waders are well aware of my presence because they remind me with their suspicious stares from time to time.



A Common Redshank that still had its breeding plumage foraged quite close to the shore line this time and away from the rest of the flock. 


The adorable Broad-billed Sandpipers were present today and they were my first record for this season. A handful was foraging about halfway out the mudflats but a few did alight momentarily slightly nearer to my position. 


The Lesser Sand-plovers were all over the place - as usual. This lone juvenile bird was resting discreetly next to me when I took this shot. 


This is the high tide roost that most of the waders retreat to when the tide is at its highest. It makes the waders feel secure and they are able to roost in peace. They have chosen well because it is completely beyond access. Because there is no access I bet if I could somehow miraculously walk on mud and water to reach this place of sanctuary, I reckon there will be loads of  Nordmann's Greenshanks, Asian Dowitchers, Eastern Curlews, Spoon-billed Sandpipers and other rarities just waiting for me. Don't mind me. Spending too much time directly under the hot tropical sun can effect people in strange ways...

8 comments:

John Kooistra said...

Stunning flycatchers, storks galore, waders a-plenty, not to mention squirrels and mudskippers. Thanks for sharing your morning with us.

Phil Slade said...

Wonderful set of species, especially the storks and a highly entertaining commentary. It sounds like we share many frustrations with exposures, tides and birds' ability to know what we are up to. We can but dream about those rarities too.

Ade Hall said...

Nicely written, well shot, engaging... I was right there with you. Looks like I will have to go to Penang at some point and enjoy the birds and shooting them!

Choy Wai Mun said...

Thank you all for your compliments.

John Holmes said...

From the confiding Mangrove Blue Flycatcher to the flocks of Asian Openbill, a very wide variety of birds…thanks for sharing.

Choy Wai Mun said...

John, the swamp forest is just next to extensive areas of paddy fields. That's why...

Ayuwat Jearwattanakanok said...

The success rates of Asian Openbills are just scary.......

Choy Wai Mun said...

You may be right, Ayuwat. But we don't have many big waterbirds here. So, the Openbills are a much welcomed colonization.