Tuesday 24 December 2019

Feathered emeralds


The forest of Bukit Wang in Kedah state beckoned again and this time I was with a group of relatively young guests from Singapore. It is always comforting to see young people getting involved with birding and bird photography. I have to admit I envy their youth as I have now come to terms with my own middle age. Gone are the days of my hardcore birding. Fatigue and reluctance to go the extra mile often set in especially when a day of birding draws to a close. And even the twitcher in me has somewhat lost his influence over life’s decisions.


During my last visit, the Chinese Blue Flycatcher provided only glimpses. Forest birding can be unpredictable and today, the male bird made sure we do not end up empty handed again. I have encountered this uncommon migrant at this locality before but he still deserves my undivided attention. When the sun finally found its way into the forest understorey, we were presented with the true appeal of this flycatcher.




Another notable migrant we came across here was a male Green-backed Flycatcher. Equally as stunning as the male Chinese Blue Flycatcher, he provided one of the main highlights of the trip.




At the mangroves of Sungai Batu, the Mangrove Pitta made an uncharacteristic brief appearance – much to our dismay. The Forest Wagtail on the other hand, was the saviour for our visit here and provided a commendable performance.


I have not seen the Mangrove Blue Flycatcher here for months and had feared for the worst. That was before this male made an unexpected appearance and put my worries to rest.


All these years of guiding, I do not think I have ever taken my guest birding in Penang Island. The Pearl of the Orient has lost most of its glitter. Destruction of habitat is one of the main reasons. But there is always a first time for everything. One of the most frequently questions asked by my guests would be what is the latest “star” bird in Penang? This time, I replied without the slightest hesitation – Asian Emerald Cuckoos at the Penang Botanic Gardens with an Oriental Scops-Owl thrown in for good measure. From that moment on, the cuckoo became the main target for the rest of this 2-day tour.


From all the info that I could gather, there are at least three cuckoos present with one of them being a male bird. The cuckoos are attracted to the caterpillars found on the bamboo clumps in a landscaped garden and will make daily forays for these tasty morsels. This species is not a lifer for me but I have yet to photograph this scarce migrant. The last time I saw the Asian Emerald Cuckoo at this location was about 15 years ago and at that time, I do not even own a camera. It was late afternoon by the time we arrived at the bamboo garden. As expected, there was a crowd as this species would be a lifer for most.


Years of birding have made me an observant man and I could tell, as we got down from the car, that something in the clumps of bamboo had the attention of the crowd. A quick gesture of my hand and my guests immediately quickened their pace and made it to the crowd just in time to see a female Asian Emerald Cuckoo perched gorgeously on a slightly exposed bamboo shoot. Life can be beautiful sometimes.


She then flew to a nearby tree in order to further awe us with her stunning beauty. However, the chosen tree had a number of obstructing branches and that hindered our efforts for improvement shots. The cuckoos’ appearances at this spot are rather unpredictable and I thank the big guy above for giving us the opportunity to admire this spectacular bird. And that was the only encounter with the cuckoo for the rest of day. The magic of Christmas at work again? I would like to think so.




With the main target in the bag, I finally had the time to scoot over to some nearby bamboo clumps to look for the Oriental Scops-Owls. It is not a typing error. Two owls have been reported before our arrival and we faced no difficulty at all locating the pair. A few bird photographers were at the roosting tree and these migratory owls are truly adorable because of their miniature size.


Lighting was less than ideal and the dense foliage prevented unobstructed views. Although the owls have been seen quite regularly for the past few days, I still took as many shots as possible in this testing condition. One thing that I have learned in life is never to take anything for granted. One can never be absolutely sure of what tomorrow holds.


The second Oriental Scops-Owl had an even smaller window from which its image can be obtained. But these nocturnal hunters are not all that common here in Malaysia and they certainly have my love and affection. At the time of writing, I was made aware by Krys, the moderator of the excellent website called Oriental Bird Images, that there are three recognized colour morphs for this little owl and these two apparently are brown morph individuals.


We were back at the Penang Botanic Gardens the next morning. This was unprecedented for me as a bird guide. For the second consecutive day, I am at a birding site in Penang Island. Apparently, the female was just not quite enough. And the male Asian Emerald Cuckoo is now the main target. I do not blame my guests for deep inside, I was also disappointed at missing out on the male Asian Emerald Cuckoo yesterday.


Minutes turned into hours and there was still no sign of any feathered emeralds – male or female. At one time, I went to check on the Oriental  Scops-Owls and they were also absent. Lucky for me, I did not hold back any effort to photograph them the day before. Some of the commoner species present at the location did help us to pass the time like this angelic Little Egret in breeding plumage.


The White-throated Kingfisher patrols the stream here regularly. Though often ignored, it received some attention this time from the humans present in its territory.


The kingfisher shares the stream with a migratory Grey Wagtail. The latter can be seen combing the sandy banks for food. I guess there is an uneasy truce between the two species because the kingfisher is an opportunistic hunter and if ever given the chance to seize the wagtail for food, it probably would.


Crested Mynas are doing very well here in Penang Island and the gardens is one of its strongholds. For my Singaporean guests, this locally common species was another lifer because Penang is after all, the best place for this bulky myna in Malaysia.


Although it is also green and glossy, the Asian Glossy Starling is definitely not in the same class as our target bird. There was a fruiting tree within the bamboo garden that has been attracting flocks of this common bird to feast and linger in the vicinity.


Marcus, one of my guests, became the man of the hour as he was the first to spot the male Asian Emerald Cuckoo. He did not have to utter a single. From his body language alone, I knew the moment we have been waiting for has arrived. Even from a distance, there was no denying the resplendence of a male Asian Emerald Cuckoo. Under the sunlight, his upperparts sparkled like a true gem living up to his namesake. Everyone present, seasoned or rookie, was mesmerized by this scarce migrant.



Unfortunately he did not stay long but during his brief appearance, he did shift positions a few times. Like an idol high up upon a pedestal, the male Asian Emerald Cuckoo bestowed upon us two minutes of pure birding ecstasy with his brilliant colouration in full view. The agonizing 3-hour wait, the brief appearance and the luck of the draw are some of the other factors that made this moment one of the year’s best for me. If not for the determination of my young guest to get the male bird, it is very likely this chapter in my life would not have taken place at all.



After the performance, we regained our composure and planned for the remaining half of the day. Since Lady Luck has been a constant companion these past few days, I decided to try our fortune at the stakeout in Bukit Larut. The weather was not promising when we finally arrived at the location. Rain is a regular feature in this town and I fear our luck could finally be running out.


The shrill vocalization of the Chestnut-naped Forktail suddenly echoed through the vicinity. We held our breath. Through the gloomy undergrowth, the male bird hopped into view and it was an emotional rollercoaster all over again for my young Singaporean guests. By that time, I could feel a slight drizzle but it will take a lot more than that to dampen our spirits now.



When the king arrived, we could not even feel the rain drops anymore. The splendour of a male Rufous-collared Kingfisher can brightened up any situation. As this was my second experience at the stakeout, I have yet to get accustomed to viewing this striking kingfisher up close and personal like this. It was certainly breath taking.



The Hooded Pitta was probably put off by the impending storm and was sorely missed. Unfortunately, the Green-backed Flycatcher and as well as a juvenile Siberian Blue Robin only made a brief appearance. In the end it was the handsome male Orange-headed Thrush that provided one last adrenalin rush for our group before we decided to call it a day.



An inquisitive Spectacled Langur saw us off as we packed up our gear and these docile monkeys are a common sight here at the foothill of Bukit Larut. We did not encounter as many species as I had anticipated for this 2-day birding adventure. However, the amazing moments with the Asian Emerald Cuckoos were significant enough for my guests to consider the tour to be a successful one. And I cannot argue with that.


I would like to take this opportunity to wish all those celebrating a Merry Christmas and to all, a Happy New Year.

2 comments:

Kezonline said...

Well once again a successful couple of days birding and congratulations on the magnificent capture of the male Asian Emerald cuckoo, superb pictures amongst many once again. It's good to see that the island of Penang is at this time still showing some great highlights if one has the patience and fortune. Another great post :-))

Choy Wai Mun said...

Thank you, Kieron. The cuckoos certainly demanded a whole lot of patience.