Thursday 30 January 2020

A red start to the Lunar New Year


I barely stepped into my house after leading a 2-day birding tour when this message came in from one of my birding mates – Daurian Redstart in Penang Island! It may be a common species in northern Asia but here in Malaysia, it is a long-awaited first record. This migratory season has been phenomenal with the likes of a Grey-sided Thrush (another first for Malaysia), Eurasian Wigeon, Wolly-necked Stork, Ashy Woodswallow, Himalayan Griffon, Small Pratincole, Slaty-legged Crake and other not-so-rare-but-still-exceptional migrants. The thrush would be a very long drive for me and a recent event in my life has left me quite drained – both physically and emotionally. The redstart, on the other hand, is in my hometown and I would not be able to look myself in the mirror if no attempts were made to tick this first record for the country.

When the opportunity arose, I took a ride up north in my island home to a small park behind a row of houses in Tanjung Bungah. Again, no secret handshake is required and the occurrence of this rare visitor was shared throughout the birding community – the way it should be.  I sometimes see people sharing images or news of rarities one year after its occurrence. I understand if it is an endangered species and all but other than that, I do not see the reason for such secrecy. A more exotic location usually comes to mind when one is on a twitching mission but apparently the Daurian Redstart occurs in this type of habitat in its regular range. The distinguished visitor has been showing well since its discovery and that provided me with the confidence to try for this female bird in, of all times, the hottest part of the day. The resident male Oriental Magpie-Robin probably found me amusing as he lingered in the trees above to observe this fool of a birder scanning the scrub vegetation under the blazing hot sun in search of a little brown bird.


When I picked out an unfamiliar silhouette with a distinct habit of rapid tail cocking within a low bush, I had to be sure I was not hallucinating. Exposure to intense sunlight is known to cause that. But when it hopped out of hiding, all doubts vanished and I was looking at my first lifer of the year and Malaysia’s first Daurian Redstart.


It was a short encounter but I am grateful she still obliged despite the testing temperature. I followed her movements briefly and she made one last stop on a barbed wire before disappearing back into the cover of the vegetation. It may not be an appealing image but I certainly appreciated her cooperation. Welcome to Malaysia, girl...


I dipped out on my previous attempt for the female Eurasian Wigeon (yes, another girl) at the marshlands of Pulau Burung. Although she would only be a Malaysian lifer and I have seen the gorgeous males during my visit to Japan, it was still a bitter pill to swallow. A few days after my success with the redstart, on the eve of the Lunar New Year to be exact, I rode my iron steed and head towards one of the most repulsive locations (to normal folks) in Penang State – the landfill of Pulau Burung. I guess my anticipation for the rare duck woke me up earlier than my alarm and I reach the location with enough time to enjoy the view of the rising sun.


As soon as it got bright enough, I scrutinized the flocks of resident Lesser Whistling Ducks for my would-be lifer. It was a tedious task. Not only does the wigeon blend in well with the locals but most of the ducks were reluctant to start off the day yet and still had their heads tucked under their wings. Then by chance or divine intervention, one of ducks out of the hundreds present struck me as a little odd. Senses heightened and eyes strained, I could just make out the uniform coloured and largish head (partially hidden). I knew I was now looking at the female Eurasian Wigeon but I needed more than a photo of a sleeping duck to commemorate the moment.


So, I waited. My eyes hardly lifted from the sleeping beauty - even when a pair of uncommon Garganeys swam across my field of view. I just could not risk losing sight of the wigeon among the other ducks should she finally decide to start off the day without me knowing it. I did not ride all the way here and tolerated the overwhelming odour of the landfill to miss out having a good look at the Eurasian Wigeon because I got distracted. It would make a good story but not at my expense. Gradually, she started to stir and I got busy trying to obtain her images as well as I possibly can.


Distance was a major hindrance but I have been birding long enough to know that you cannot have your cake and eat it every single time.


The Eurasian Wigeon swam further and further away from me and I do not see much chance to improve on my images. Then I decided to travel back to the island and spend some time with another distinguished guest – the Daurian Redstart. There was only a handful of people with the same intention present at the modest park today. It came as no surprise. Traffic along all major highways will be horrendous today and most Chinese folks will be preparing to usher in the Year of the Rat. Unfortunately by the time the Daurian Redstart finally revealed herself, the lighting was harsh and we had to struggle to obtain any acceptable images.


Murphy’s Law is at work again but better this than the Daurian Redstart not showing at all. It was another brief sighting. I waited for a couple more hours for her return but to no avail. But if all goes well and both birders and photographers keep their behaviour and enthusiasm in check, I will have the chance for improvement shots before this migratory season comes to a close.


3 comments:

mikebirder said...

I agree this season is the best.............

Anonymous said...

There is a duck with yellow eyes in the middle of your picture - what could it be?

Choy Wai Mun said...

Just Lesser Whistling Ducks with eyes closed.