Monday 1 June 2020

Enjoy the little things


I awoke to a Saturday morning that was simply too beautiful not to be out in the field. It has been a while since my last visit to Sungai Burung – a local patch located at the south-western corner of Penang Island. The scenic drive that cuts through the central hilly region to get to the site is now marred with the massive construction of an elevated highway. Luckily, the site itself remained pretty much the same as I last left it. In fact, I found the rural landscape to be more captivating than usual today. Or perhaps it is because I have been away for far too long.


The Black-naped Oriole is one of the most attractive birds that occurs within human settlements. I came across one resting on an electrical cable and it appeared to be in no particular hurry to start off the day and neither was I. Besides, I could use some colours in my life right now and the radiant plumage of the Black-naped Oriole will certainly do.


Feral species usually do not do it for me but Barbary Doves are still relatively uncommon here in Penang. Two pairs were seen perched suspiciously just outside a village house. The doves could well be free flying pets as they exhibited very little fear of my approach.


One pair had no intentions to conceal their feelings for each other. And I guess in no time, Barbary Doves will be a regular sight here but hopefully, not the entire island. We have more than enough Feral Pigeons flying about everywhere as it is.


An immature Blue-tailed Bee-eater was also making full use of the electrical cables. Unlike the doves, the youngster was using this man made structure to hunt for breakfast rather than procreation.


Along the access road next to the mangroves, the resident Collared Kingfishers were certainly out and about. Most have paired up for the breeding season and their raucous calls constantly broke the serenity of the surroundings.


There were fewer White-throated Kingfishers present which is expected of this location. In birding, it is sometimes about quality rather than quantity and this one White-throated Kingfisher provided the best photo out of all the kingfishers I came across today.


There was a big downpour the night before but it still does not explain why this Dollarbird is looking so miserable and wet. Not when other birds are looking prime and proper.


Despite having to endure human trappers, both the Zebra Dove and its bigger cousin the Spotted Dove are doing surprisingly well. While birding along the edge of the mangroves, I came across numerous individuals of both species. And one exceptionally tame Zebra Dove managed to convince me to stop for a photoshoot. While enjoying some sunshine on the rocky divider between the access trail and the mangroves, the little guy literally ignored my approaching vehicle. With the lighting condition ideal and the subject at eye level, it was almost too good (and easy) to be true.


The doves might be enjoying the good life here but they better not let down their guard too often. In this healthy ecosystem, predators lurk. The Crested Serpent-Eagle generally prefer a reptilian diet but who is to say if it suddenly acquires a taste for avian meat.


Brahminy Kites are aplenty today and the majority of them were juveniles. It is a scavenger by nature but will take life prey when the opportunity presents itself and small birds are certainly part of its diet.


The Purple Heron has little to fear from these raptors as it is simply too big for them to overpower. It enjoys its time in the sun with very little worries. At this location, the only species that poses any real threat to it would be humans. But not this human for he has nothing but admiration the heron’s stately presence.


At the nearby estuary, Striated Herons are abundant and it has been that way for as long as I could remember. Immature birds lack the lovely plumage colouration of the matured birds.


An adult Striated Heron is an attractive water bird that most birders and bird photographers often take for granted. But today, I was not on tour nor was I on any twitching mission. Today’s excursion was a relaxed outing to a local patch just to catch up with all the birding I was deprived of by the government’s partial lockdown order. And I intend to enjoy the little things like giving the Striated Heron the attention it truly deserves.


Even the Pacific Swallow managed to grab hold of my attention today and that does not happen often.


This is one of the few locations on the island where the Large-billed Crow can still be seen regularly. There is no doubt they are losing out to the marauding House Crows and that is a shame. I like the Large-billed Crow more or maybe I am just biased towards the House Crows for all the misdeeds they are capable of doing.


I kept a look out for Javan Mynas as they have been recorded from the island as well. However, there were not many mynas around today and those few Jungle Mynas that came my way did not produce any surprises.


As I was driving next to the river, I was surprise to see five Grey Herons at a single spot each perched on a different but adjacent tree. It appeared to be like a small heronry and in all of years of birding here in the Pearl of the Orient, this is my biggest count to date.


Another notable personal count for the island was a group of six Red-wattled Lapwings. Long before I could see them, I could hear their loud call as I approached the paddy fields. I have seen Red-wattled Lapwings at this site irregularly through the years but always lone birds. This species is doing so well throughout the peninsular nowadays and there is really no reason for them not to thrive here as well.


A few all too familiar silhouettes glided across the sky before alighted on a flooded patch of the paddy fields. It was not unexpected but to finally know I share my island home with Asian Openbills was definitely the highlight of the trip. I do not think this is the first confirmed sighting from Penang Island but it does not really matter. These unique storks have settled in well just across the narrow straits that separate the island from the mainland. It was just a matter of time before a few decide to opt for an island life. Unlike the invasive Javan Mynas, these storks certainly have my welcome.


2 comments:

Kezonline said...

Woah! So late catching up on your birding freedom Wai Mun and oh do I miss Malaysian birding. A nice trip on the island too giving it's reward in some lovely pictures. I can't wait to get back. But we live in a crazy world right now and wonder if and when we can do this. I'll get my fix as usual with your excellent escapades. Stay safe.

Choy Wai Mun said...

Yes, the world is very different now Kieron. But I am enjoying my freedom. Thank you as always.