Friday 29 October 2021

Back into the field...

 

After more than 180 days, I finally ventured out into field for some much needed birding. The government eased the travel restrictions between states and myself, fully vaccinated. The Air Hitam Dalam Educational Forest remained relatively the same since the last time I was here. However, there was one difference. I had to follow the new normal and donning a medical mask is very much be a part of everything I do nowadays - including birding.




A Crow-billed Drongo was shadowing the movements of a pair of Plaintain Squirrels attracted by the insects flushed by the mammals. Although the only image obtained during the encounter could not reflect the true beauty of the Crow-billed Drongo but to watch it hawk among the foliage of the riverine trees was a great start to the day.



I admit that my identification skills are not as sharp as they should be as they have not being put to use for a long time indeed. But no matter how long I have been kept away from birding, there is no mistaking a Green-billed Malkoha. When it swooped across the access road with its long tail trailing and all, it certainly made me realize how much I miss this unusual hobby of mine. And just before the cuckoo disappeared into the swamp forest, it was kind enough to leave me with more than just a memory.



Shortly after, a true test of my identification skills took place. Flitting about the foliage of the canopy level, a little brown job looked set to giving me a hard time. Initially, I struggled. Prominent wing markings tried to complicate my thoughts. Unexpectedly, the bird dropped down to a smaller tree and good were now available to me. And the identification of this juvenile Asian Brown Flycatcher, solved.




The Malaysian Pied-Flycatcher after having terrorizing the small insects in the vicinity decided to take a breather on a somewhat expose perch. One does not see this notoriously active bird stationary like this all that often and taking a moment to appreciate it was the least I could do.



A lone male Common Flameback created such a ruckus that it would it impossible to ignore. Come to think of it, with that striking plumage of his, it would still be impossible to ignore him even if he was as quiet as a church mouse.



Although I mostly derived inspiration from birds, this attractive flower has a certain appeal to it and it was enough to even distract my attention. Or maybe it is just because I have been cooped up indoors far too often of late.



As usual, the bubbly song of the Olive-winged Bulbuls filled the locality. I managed to catch one enjoying the rays of the morning sun nearby the elevated boardwalk. Rain has been a regular feature of late and the warmth would be inviting indeed. I guess we could both use a little sunshine in our lives now.



The heat of late morning began to soar and so did some of the raptors that were present here today. Sounding remarkably like a mewing cat, the Brahminy Kite reveals its presence with this distinctive call. The resident pair appeared shyer than usual and I knew better than to press on for better images.



Back from their breeding grounds up north, the Black Kites are once again soaring over the swamp forest and paddy fields of this birding haven. A fair number was recorded but they kept their distance most of the time. This slightly more confiding individual provided a close but brief display of aerial agility. Just enough to lift my spirit.



Asian Openbills also took advantage of the hot air thermal to move from one feeding area to another. These peculiar storks have very much settled down in this part of the state and their huge silhouettes traversing along the skyline are a common sight. I guess absence does make the heart grow fonder and I marveled at the Asian Openbill as though they were still the rare visitors of yesteryear.



One species that has always been a common winter visitor since the first day I took up birding is the Brown Shrike. Perched on top of a short tree, she (told by the barring on her underside) was probably scanning for potential prey. She was confiding and allowed me to shoot contently. That is until a couple of day trippers decided to stroll past with their MP3 player in toll. And people wonder why I am antisocial when birding...



Bright lighting certainly helps with photography but too much of a good thing can sometimes be the exact opposite. A female Plaintive Cuckoo resting in a low bush undoubtedly after a heavy meal was the last bird of the trip. Identification was anything but straightforward typical of female cuckoos. The harsh lighting and inevitable shadows compounded my frustration. But I packed up my gear a happy man. It is good to be back and hopefully, with more field trips to post in the days to come.



2 comments:

Kezonline said...

Great to see you out and about again Wai Mun and to an old haunt to start your travels again. A nice start with great pics. Here's hoping you soon get into the birding groove again. K.

Choy Wai Mun said...

It is good to be back birding, Kieron. Thank you. Your comments are always mich appreciated.