Friday 31 December 2021

Ending the year with some Christmas cheer

 

Christmas - that special time of the year when anything is possible or so they say. And what better time to set out for not one but two lifers than on Christmas Day itself. It has been nearly 15 months since I last increase my life list. Undoubtedly, this is the longest I have ever gone without a lifer and it is courtesy of the ongoing pandemic and all the travel restrictions. I had a little appetizer before the main course which was slated for the afternoon. Unfortunately, the Black Bittern that was showing well for others at the Penang Botanic Gardens was no where to be seen. It was not a good sign especially before a major twitching trip and a striking Blue-tailed Bee-eater did not possess enough finesse to lift my spirits. So much for the magic of Christmas so far.



The Pied Stilt looks very much like some variances of the Black-winged Stilt and this graceful wader was my first twitch of the trip. It is a recent colonizer from the south to Peninsular Malaysia and a few finally made their way up to Penang state as predicted. The paddy planting district of mainland Penang houses hundreds of wintering Black-winged Stilts. Relying on the information others have provided and faith, I scanned through the flocks looking for the odd ones out. Luckily, I had James’s help for this tedious task as he accompanied me on this excursion. It was a hot and sunny day and the heatwave was almost unbearable. And then among a flock of 50 or so, I noticed one sporting a distinctive black mane. It was far and the paddy stalks, tall. Upon further strenuous scrutiny, it was beyond doubt I was squinting at my first Pied Stilt.



I carefully trod onto the muddy bund with the hope of obtaining better images. The paddy field is not a place where one can easily sneak up to a bird and the magic of Christmas, like everything else in life, has its limits.



Time was of the essence on this occasion and as I was about to leave for my next destination, the Pied Stilt strolled into full view. It was still a dreadful effort but then again, I could have just as easily missed the bird among the sea of stilts and stalks. Thus, always be grateful of what you have being given.



We arrived at the jetty along the Penaga River just in time to join the rest to search for Malaysia’s second Black-faced Spoonbill by boat. There is not much I can add that Google cannot provide about this unique and globally endangered species except that it presses all the right buttons for me – a water bird that is big, beautiful and rare.




We found the Black-faced Spoonbill at the river mouth where it frequents. However, all the excitement and anticipation built up to this moment drowned away because the distinguished visitor was foraging at a spot where the possibility of reducing the distance was non-existence.



The only thing left to do was to wait and hope for the Black-faced Spoonbill to wander closer and it was a long and taxing wait. A juvenile White-bellied Sea-Eagle gilded in and momentarily distracted us from the depressing situation we were in. It may sound like I am contradicting myself. I got my double lifers, didn’t I? It really should not matter that I only managed record shots for this lifer as well. But I was really looking forward to a memorable experience with the spoonbill and a distant observation is not exactly what I had in mind.




Anyway, back to the eagle. A sudden change of pace caught everyone by surprise and I almost missed the opportunity of capturing this majestic raptor dive successfully for what appeared to be a snake. On any other given day, this would have left me on cloud nine. But the disappointment with the spoonbill could not be that easily forgotten.




Even the appearance of a juvenile Brahminy Kite soaring effortlessly in the clear blue sky did very little to brightened up the trip. Not when now that the Black-faced Spoonbill had gone hidden from sight as it rested behind a line of mangrove trees.




At that point in time, we decided to venture elsewhere and to return here again before the day is over. A Collared Kingfisher was also taking shelter from the scorching heat and perched among the foliage of the mangroves.



The Black-capped Kingfisher is one difficult bird to photograph because of its shy nature. I found out today that it is more tolerant to approach by boat than car and this individual continued to rest in the shade despite our intrusion. This common but striking migrant did reposition itself during our observation and the encounter gave us to courage to hope for better things to come before the end of the day.




It was the moment of truth and the boat circled back for one more attempt with the Black-faced Spoonbill. On a wing and a prayer, we are hoping that the receding tide will draw it out from hiding and forage along the water’s edge. Just like this Great Egret.



Even from a distance, there is no mistaking the foraging technique of the spoonbill as it sweeps for aquatic invertebrates. We cautiously approach and now at least, we can truly admire the unique and enigmatic Black-faced Spoonbill.



Before the trip, I gawked at some of the images that were posted on social media. Although my own efforts do not even come close but I am happy. Two lifers in one day is a rare feat for me and given the unprecedented period I had to endure without lifers, this is one of my best Christmas Days in a long time. I suppose every birder wishes for easily attained lifers. However, sometimes the drawbacks and drama in a way add value to the experience. There was certainly no shortage of that today.



Little did I know the Black-faced Spoonbill saved the best for last. As the last light of day gradually slid back into the horizon, we found our main target of this boat trip basking in the golden light of the setting sun. And I, just took a deep breath and soak in the view. From utter disappointment to total bliss. The magic of Christmas? You bet it is. At the time of writing, this vagrant has not been seen in two days. All the more reason to be grateful.



When we returned to the jetty, a few Black-crowned Night-Herons have emerged from their roost. As our day comes to a close, theirs have just only begun. These common nocturnal water birds wrapped things up for the day and what a day it has been. The Pied Stilt will most probably get commoner here in Malaysia but for now, it is certainly a significant record. The Black-faced Spoonbill was just amazing and I may not have another chance to see this rarity again in my homeland. 2021 may not have been an eventful year but the appearance of these two species in the final weeks of the year has now made it otherwise.



4 comments:

Wilma said...

What a day! The spoonbill glows in the evening light.

Choy Wai Mun said...

Yes, Wilma. One of the best trips of the year. Happy New Year to you.

Kezonline said...

Ooh I missed replying to this posting. Congratulations on a single day of 2 lifers. In the end you got very good shots of the spoonbill, all gratefully recorded I'm sure. It's been quiet from you for a month or so, looking forward to your next adventure out with our feathered friends.

Choy Wai Mun said...

Thank you, Kieron. I have been busy with work and preparations for the Chinese New Year.