Thursday 4 February 2010

03/02/2010: Kampung Permatang Nibong (Penang)

I swung by this locality again after work to check on the Asian Openbill and hopefully, to capture more of its images. While making my way along the paddy field access road, I came across a Common Stonechat perched on one of the paddy stalks. It has been about 5 years since I last saw a Stonechat in Penang and this sighting was much appreciated. The lack of any black colouration on the face region strongly suggests that it is a she.

I was entertained by a couple of hunting juvenile Eastern Marsh-harriers during my last visit and this time, it was a juvenile Pied Harrier's turn.

As I was passing one of the electrical cables that cuts across these fields, I managed to pick out a striking Red-rumped Swallow among the usual Barn Swallows. It was rather confiding and continued to preen as I slowly drove my way closer. As the cable was quite low, I was able to capture these images from my "car-hide".

This shot shows the beautiful forked tail...

However, the main reason for my visit here did not make an appearance. It could be roosting in another section and this is a very big area of paddy fields - even for a large bird like the Asian Openbill. While waiting for the stork, I took a few shots of the egrets that were foraging quite close to my stationery vehicle like this Cattle Egret...

And Intermediate Egret...

A huge flock of Baya Weavers were put into flight by marauding House Crows and it was quite a sight. So despite the disappointment with the Asian Openbill, it turned out to be quite an enjoyable short excursion.

1 comment:

wondersf said...

You were sharp in picking up those red-rumped. Good catch. I have yet to meet up with one.