Thursday 11 February 2010

11/02/2010: Sungai Burung (Penang)

I spend the first hour of morning at this local patch before starting off my working day. Thing were rather slow and when a Common Myna basking in the golden rays of the morning sun came into view, I took the effort and time to capture its image.

The ripe paddy attracted a lot of munias as well as weavers but they remained well hidden among the paddy stalks. However, one Scaly-breasted Munia alighted on an exposed perch long enough for me to capture a few shots in the golden light.

As I was making my way out of the paddy fields, I came across a female Common Kingfisher hunting from a concrete embankment of a canal. I have tried on numerous occasions in the past to capture images of this adorable kingfisher at this vicinity but all my results so far had much room for improvement. Although this lovely gal was quite close to my car, the same golden light that provided me with those wonderful images earlier was now shining directly into my lens.

As I was about to give up, the kingfisher flew to the other side of the canal and this time, the lighting was just right. Thank you, girl!

I even managed to see her taking a tiny fish from the canal. Well, it was a happy ending in the end for the both of us.

10 comments:

wondersf said...

Very satisfying to have a willing model keeping us company. Can understand that feeling!

Wai Yien said...

wonderful shots, and a big wow. Love the king very much especially the feeding shots.

JRandSue said...

Stunning Images.
John

Redzlan aka Tabib said...

Beautiful lighting, and love that tiny king.

Choy Wai Mun said...

Thanks all for your compliments

Madibirder said...

The birds looks lovely in the ealt morning light. Fabulous shots of the Common King especially with the fish. Encounters like this is comparable to taking your morning tonic to get you thru the entire day!

Choy Wai Mun said...

Thanks, Madi. I could not have described the encounter any better!

Simon Taylor said...

Fantastic Kingfisher shots

holdingmoments said...

I was directed here from a link on Wilma's blog,(South Englishtown Gazette). I'm so glad I did. Amazing shots; and the Kingfisher, just beautiful. A bird I've been trying to capture for some time.

Choy Wai Mun said...

Thanks Simon & holdingmoments